Hey, I am finally, for the first time ever, ahead of the Halloween costume curve! Ella's costume is DONE! I'll reveal the completed ensemble in a few days, but for now I wanted to show you how we made the various parts. To begin: a shield.
|Campaign yard sign and a plastic serving tray from the Dollar-Tree-I-Love-That-Place. If you do not have a campaign yard sign, you can use cardboard or foam core board. Choose something sturdy that will not warp if it gets wet.|
|Draw around the tray with a marker.|
|Measure as far out as you want for a margin.|
|Cut. Be neat, but not anal.|
|Make straps out of sturdy tape. We are a Theatrical-America family, so I used gaff tape which we always have in bulk. Slide the ends of the straps thru slits from the back.|
|Ends thru slits. :)|
|Tape slits down securely.|
|Spray with primer.|
|Spray with gold glittery paint. LOTS. We're talking about a goddess here. There is no such thing as too much.|
|Draw some designs on with puff paint.|
ALLOW TO DRY! A LOT! ONE WHOLE DAY IS NOT TOO MUCH!
|Behold! A shield to fend off gorgons or what have you.|
Tomorrow: The Helmet of Damocles™.