Welcome to my 30 Minutes for 30 Days series! If you are joining me for the first time, you can find out how this all got started HERE. You can read all the 30 for 30 posts HERE.
Here's the thing about big numbers: you can get rid of a LOT of stuff and not make a visible difference. This weekend I got rid of 102 canning lids, and nobody will ever be the wiser by walking thru my door. If I had gotten rid of just one piece of living room furniture, my numbers would be way lower but my overall experience would be much different.
For The Minimalist Game, today I got rid of:
- Two wooden spoons. (2)
- One pair of slipper socks that have seen better days. (2)
- One vacuum dealing device. (1)
- One unused travel toiletry bottle. (1)
- One magnetic vent cover. (1)
- One battery-operated soap dispenser. (2)
- Eighteen aluminum foil pans and three foil kids. (21)
- ANOTHER empty soap dispenser. (1)
- One set of car ramps going back to their rightful owner. (2)
- Two expired bottles of saline solution. (2)
- MORE canning jars. (12)
- One loofah. (1)
- One loofah towel. (1)
- One empty dish soap bottle. (1)
- Three T-shirts that I was going to turn into dresses but obviously never will. (3)
- Three empty cardboard boxes. (3)
- Two measuring tapes. (2)
- Two pairs of evening gloves. (4)
- One pair of gardening gloves. (2)
- Five pieces of PVC pipe. (5)
- One unidentified piece of junk. (1)
- Two accordion folders. (2)
- Two 3-hole brad folders. (2)
All these photos look weird because I took them after dark. Yeah, I could have edited them to make them look all misty and romantic. Then I realized I could just as easily use that time to eat a piece of sweet potato pie. This is the result:
|Still life with stuff minus the vacuum sealer that I forgot to put in the picture.|
|Still life with canning jars, soap dispenser, and cat.|
|Still life with aluminum pans.|
Do you think it was rash of me to get rid of these right before Thanksgiving?
|Still life with folders.|
|Still life with boxes and pit bull.|
|Still life with car ramps.|
|Still life with PVC pipes, piece of junk, and pit bull again.|
RUNNING TOTAL: 276
...of which today there were 74 discrete pieces. To date I have removed more than 1277 individual items from my home.
Today’s pre-Thanksgiving day recipe: Cranberry Sauce. You can make this today and put it in the fridge and it will keep safely for weeks.
For every cup of cranberries you cook, use 1/2 cup sugar, and about 1/4 cup of orange juice. Put it all in a pan and bring it to a boil, then turn the heat down and let it gently simmer until the cranberries are as soft as you want them. If you want them really mushy, it will take about 30 minutes. If you like, you can add cinnamon, or vanilla extract, or walnuts, or whatever you like.
Let it cool before putting it in the fridge. It will thicken as it cools.